Name of Community School Initiative (if applicable)
The purpose of this community school initiative is to create a community of healthy and empowered learners by providing opportunities and resources that will engage students, teachers, and families using the Community Schools Model. We want our students and citizens to value education and feel empowered to be the pioneers in changing the culture of their community. Through the school garden project, student gardeners will become responsible, self-reliant citizens who will later return to the community as mentors for future generations at HE White Elementary.
We expect our students to leave HE White with the abilities to work in teams, communicate effectively, problem solve, and understand cultural differences. Given a real-life problem, our elementary graduates will be able to effectively choose and utilize the most appropriate technology to produce a viable solution.
Position (or Title) at Community School
Description of Position
The coordinator duties are as follows:
- Act as liaison between school and community to promote Parent/Family Engagement, Community Engagement, Youth Development, Strategic Alignment through Deepening Partnerships and Academic Alignment, and Strengthening of Partnerships relating to Physical and Mental Health, Tutoring, after school programming, Mentoring, and Early Childhood.
- Facilitate all programs.
- Implement strategies to strengthen community relationships with community partners, facilitate First Book, facilitate licensing of MobyMax software.
- Facilitate Pre-K Staff, community volunteers, and Parents as Teachers.
- Organize and plan activities and schedule afterschool personnel and community partners.
- Assists in planning building usage times, including personnel and volunteer coverage.
- Coordinates parent and community member afternoon and summer greenhouse/garden learning sessions.
- Coordinates evening skill development courses for parents and community members.
- Recruits and coordinates the activities of individuals and organizations willing to offer programs and services at the school to meet the need of student, families, and community members.
Number of Years in Position
Why are you interested in joining this network?
I need to know what other community schools are doing and how to be more effect in my position so I can help the community and the students.
I am excited about being a part of this network. We just received a grant to become a community school earlier this year. In March I became the coordinator, so I have a lot to learn and a lot to get going. We are in the process of building a high tunnel/greenhouse for the students to learn about growing, harvesting, and eating vegetables. These vegetables will be served as part of the school lunch. There are a multitude of other programs and services we plan to have available for the students and community. Without community volunteers we could not make this happen.
I look forward to support from CSCN and for help in putting wings to our plans.
No comments yet!
You need to be a member of Community Schools Coordinators Network to add comments!